+61 431 156 829 info@iwiseeducation.com

Skilled Independent Visa

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is a permanent General Skilled Migration visa which does not require sponsorship by a State/Territory Government or relative in Australia.

SkillSelect Only Application

To apply for this visa, you must first lodge for an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect and be invited by the Department of Immigration to apply.

After receiving an invitation to apply for a skilled visa, you have 60 days (about 2 months) to submit youth application before the invitation expires. Additionally, it is especially important that you have all necessary papers on hand and ready to submit as soon as you receive the invitation.

skilled independent visa

Visa Criteria


To qualify for a Subclass 189 visa, you would need to:

  • Submit an EOI and receive an invitation to apply
  • Pass the skilled migration points test with a score of at least 65
  • Age range of 18 to 44, inclusive
  • Pass the skills test for a job on the list of occupations for skilled independent visas
  • Have at least proficient English
  • Meet the requirements for character and health

This choice does not require sponsorship by a relative or State/Territory Government.

    Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?


    When submitting a Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa application You have the choice of being abroad or in Australia. You would need to have a substantive visa or a Bridging A, B, or C visa in order to be able to lodge from within Australia. Once you submit your application from within Australia, you will be issued a bridging visa that will allow you to stay in the country while your visa is being processed


      Including Family Members


      You can include the following types of family members in your application:

      • Spouses, defacto partners and same-sex partners
      • Dependent children

        Duration and Conditions


        It is a permanent visa that entitles holders to unrestricted employment privileges while they remain in Australia indefinitely.

        Your family must enter Australia for the first time before your police and health clearances expire if you are outside of Australia when the visa is granted.