+61 431 156 829 info@iwiseeducation.com


iWise Education Citizenship

Being an Australian citizen entitles you

  • the right to live in Australia indefinitely
  • apply for an Australian passport
  • can leave and re-enter Australia without applying for a resident return visa
  • seek assistance from Australian diplomatic representatives while overseas.

The rules governing Australian nationality, defined by the Australian Citizenship Act 2007, dictate the qualifications required for someone to hold legal Australian citizenship. This legislation, effective from July 1, 2007, is enforceable throughout all states and territories of Australia.

i wise education citizenship

To Be Eligible:


To be eligible for student visa, the applicant must

  • be a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen when apply and when Department of Home Affairs decide your application.
  • be in Australia when we decide on your application in most cases
  • living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
  • a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
  • away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months
  • intend to live in Australia or maintain a lasting link with Australia while overseas
  • meet the character test
  • meet English requirement


Note: –

  • Children under 16 do not need to meet the general residence requirement but must be permanent residents.
  • For children 16 or 17 years old, if meeting this requirement would cause significant hardship or disadvantage, you will need to provide proof.

Calculate your permanent residence


Your residency starts on the date:

  • we granted the permanent visa when you were in Australia, or
  • you first entered Australia on a permanent visa


    Exemptions and special circumstances


    You do not need to meet our residence requirement if you:

    • are under 16 years
    • were born to a former Australian citizen who lost their citizenship before 4 April 2002
    • were born in Papua before 16 September 1975 and one of your parents was born in Australia and was an Australian citizen when you were born

    The applicant needs to provide documents to the Department of Home affairs that support your claim when you apply.

      Knowledge of Australia


      You must understand what it means to be an Australian citizen. To assess this, most applicants will sit the citizenship test.
      At the time you have an appointment, you must show that you have:
      • a basic knowledge of the English language
      • an understanding of what it means to become an Australian citizen
      • an adequate knowledge of Australia and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship
      • an understanding and commitment to Australian values based on freedom, respect and equality
      If you score 75% or more on citizenship test, and answer all 5 questions on Australian values correctly, then you meet the knowledge requirement.


          Close and continuing link to Australia


          You must intend to live in Australia or maintain a close and continuing association with Australia while overseas. Citizenship is a privilege that requires a long-term commitment to Australia.

          Department of Home Affairs may consider if you have:

          • a child who is an Australian citizen
          • a partner who is an Australian citizen and your time together
          • extended family in Australia
          • spent time in Australia
          • a bank account in Australia
          • a job in Australia
          • paid income tax in Australia
          • property in Australia

            Things to note


            • This information is for people 59 years and under. If you are aged 60 years or older.
            • A dependent child aged 15 years or younger can be included in their parent’s application at no additional cost. The child must be a permanent resident.
            • If a parent is not applying to become an Australian citizen, a child 15 years or younger can apply on their own and must pay the associated fee.
            • A child aged 16 or 17 cannot be included on their parent’s application. They must apply on their own.

            Most New Zealand citizens will need to hold a permanent visa.